I love New Year’s Resolutions. Writing down my wide-eyed dreams for the next 365 days gives me great hope. But then, I hate New Year’s Resolutions. Because around the middle of April I realize just how pie-in-the-sky they really were.
So, it’s that time of year again to flip our New Year’s Resolutions upside-down. Let’s turn them into things we can actually accomplish in 2020. And don’t worry, I have a feeling you won’t have any trouble checking off every one of them.
Here are my 12 hopes for you for at least a few moments in 2020:
I hope you will be…
1. MESSY Because it will mean you were creative.
“Take chances, makes mistakes, get messy!” ~Ms. Frizzle, The Magic School Bus
2. LONELY Because then you might make a new friend.
“Loneliness pushes me to seek to be known.” ~Chip Dodd, Voice of the Heart
3. SAD Because it will mean your heart was soft enough to feel.
“Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.” ~Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
4. IGNORANT Because it will make you curious.
“I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” ~Pablo Picasso
5. A MISTAKE-MAKER Because it will mean you tried something new.
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~Albert Einstein
6. WRONG Because it means you get to say you’re sorry.
“Apologizing is difficult because it requires humility.” ~Renee Garfinkel
7. NEEDY Because it gives you the gift of asking for help.
“Forget what you’ve been told–seeking assistance is the sign of a great leader.” ~Lorie Corcuera
8. BORED Because then you might invent something.
“A little boredom breeds creativity.” ~Steve Maxwell
9. SCARED Because then you might be tackling something bigger than you.
“I think we’re going to the moon because it’s in the nature of the human being to face challenges.” ~ Neil Armstrong
10. UNCERTAIN Because then you will have to trust.
“Uncertainty is crucial, it is God’s proving ground, a place of unparalleled character growth.” ~ Tom Avery
11. ANXIOUS Because then you might pray.
“Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith.” ~Henry Ward Beecher
12. WEAK Because then you will see the power of God.
My grace is enough for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness. ~God
When we turn our New Year’s Resolutions upside down, they become goals we can actually accomplish! And if we accomplish these, I have a feeling we’ll become people of deeper character, teachable, real, dependent on God, and full of love and empathy for those around us.
Here’s to a beautiful 2020.